What’s your thoughts on the use of supplements in competition jiujitsu?

There’s no secret that a lot of people in general take supplements regularly to help with their performance. What’s your opinion on their use in competition bjj?

2 Likes

I personally have nothing against supplements. Granted some dudes go overboard and take roids and stuff but it’s their body at the end of the day… I just find it funny that even amateur competitions have guys that do this.

I kinda expect roid heads to pop up in tournaments every now and then because BJJ as a whole is not yet strictly regulated. But I do wish that it gets stricter in the professional levels though.

I don’t have anything against people who use supplements either. As long as they’re not taking anything that’s on the prohibited list then it’s fine I guess.

There are some supplements that actually help. Most can also be taken from direct sources as told to me by some of my teammates. If you have that extra budget and time to obtain these then absolutely. Otherwise, you’d have to have competition a go with being all “natty”.

1 Like

Speaking of supplements, does anyone know the nutritional benefits to eating acai? I’ve never tried it so I have no idea if it really is a superfood or just a cultural overflow from the Brazilian BJJ guys.

I have a friend who does so many different activities on top of all the classes she attends at uni and still has the energy to go out and party at night. I asked her, jokingly, if she was on speed and whatnot because it seemed she had perpetual batteries or something and she simply laughed and said, “Nope, I just take acai daily.”

I have yet to try acai but I can vouch for ceremonial Uji matcha green tea though. :blush:

2 Likes

Interesting. I might just try it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What kind of acai though? How’s it made or does she take it as is? Like is it either tablets or a in a fruit bowl? :laughing:

She said it’s acai supplements and she drinks acai juice as well (which is crazy expensive by the way, milk AND supplements). How about you, do you take any supplements?

1 Like

Most supplements are largely BS or placebo at best. Their are some supplements on the market that have science backing them - creatine is a good example of an OTC supplement that’s safe and proven effective.

As far as steroids, I don’t have firsthand experience, but I do train a guy in the weight room who has cycled on and off of them. They make a huge difference because they allow you to push your body harder and recover quicker, dependent of course on which specific PED you take. That being said, even for lifting, you still have to put the work in to see results. I did not coach him through his steroid use, so I can’t speak as to the deeper specifics.

Steroids being illegal in standard law seems silly to me, however I think competitors in all competition should have a clear list of banned and allowed supplements under a certain ruleset or promotion - kinda like how professional bodybuilding has a “Natural” category, who at least have to do some testing and avoid banned substances.

If two juiced out gorillas wanna try and choke each other out, or knock each other out, I really think they should be allowed as long as they both agree on what they’ll be taking.

2 Likes

I have’t really done much research on it, but would you recommend someone taking creatine if let’s say he’s in training camp for an upcoming fight? I heard that it helps keep fluids more than usual.

This is why I loved PRIDE back in the day :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Creatine would probably be better for an “off season” period. Most athletes in traditional sports (ie. sports with a season) spend some time building muscle and strength before dialing in for the season.

Creatine increases your body’s ability to do power and near max strength work - however it doesn’t work acutely… meaning that the advantage is found over the course of weeks to months of weight training, resulting in more gains compared to not using it. There is extensive research on this.

As far as training for an upcoming fight… probably not the best time to try creatine.

Experiment when you don’t have a fight coming up, but it takes a few weeks before your muscles uptake sufficient creatine to make a difference.

NERD TIME:
Biologically, creatine increases the Creatine Phosphate concentration in the muscle, which allows more rapid replenishment of ATP via phosphorylation, the primary energy cycle used in explosive power and max strength work (greater than 85% of a 1 rep max for a given movement).

Source: Haff, Greg, and N. Travis Triplett. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning . Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2016. pp. 242-43.

1 Like

you got me at crazy expensive :laughing: