Training in one academy vs. Training everywhere

I’m just curious where you stand on this certain controversy. I love the team I train with and I wouldn’t exchange them for anything but sometimes I do attend classes at other BJJ academies when I’m traveling to a certain region for work and will be staying there for a week or so.

I’ve received some snide comments about how “disloyal” I am because I train at other gyms when in my point of view, I’m really just trying to absorb as much learning as I can from different sources. As of now, I don’t see anything wrong with what I’m doing and I’m not even trying to compare one gym from another but I can’t help but feel that I’m breaking a certain JiuJitsu code of conduct or subtly offending other people or something.

What’s your perspective on this matter?

3 Likes

I’ve had this issue too. My professor is very old school and prefers that we stick to his association for anything related to BJJ. But I still train with another team (it’s an MMA team so I guess it’s ok), and that’s where I study leglocks and other stuff that I want to add to my game.

We usually hear things like “family” when people talk about Jiujitsu, but for me I always think of it as a service because I pay a fee. Families don’t charge anything so I don’t consider it as such lol. I consider all my training partners good friends though.

3 Likes

You are a paying customer, you have the right to train wherever you please. Yes we develop a bond with our team, but we should be encouraged to train everywhere. The more Jiu Jitsu we experience, the more well rounded a prepared we will be. Not saying this is your gym, but usually this approach comes with an instructor’s fear of you experiencing better jiu jitsu and leaving. They are purely putting themselves first as a business before your own personal growth. Train everywhere and with everyone you can, it’s not betrayal in anyway.

3 Likes

No problem with my coaches though as they are very open minded about me training at the other gyms. It even came to a point when I didn’t train for about 1 year or more because I was focusing on my striking skills but still they welcomed me with open arms when I decided to come back and commit to BJJ this time. It’s actually the other more old school practitioners (and these aren’t even members of the gym) that I hear throwing some shade. But, I feel a bit better now I know that I’m not the only one who feels right about just taking every opportunity I can to train no matter the location and the academy. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Your coaches sound great and supportive. Ignore the dinosaurs and just do you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe that for competitors, if you’re better than everyone at your academy, and there’s no one to really push you and make you better, it’s almost counter productive to be training there, and not train somewhere that offers better quality training than your previous academy. And i know that traveling distance plays a part, but if there’s better academies in your area, and you’re running through everyone at your academy now, it would make more sense from a competitive standpoint to switch to that better academy. However, if you’re just a casual jiujitsu hobbyist, then either option would be cool, and as long as you’re having fun and you’re happy, then it doesn’t really matter if you wanna stay at your gym or move around some. It all boils down to what you wanna do

2 Likes

We had brown belt MMA guy come in every couple of weeks and when I transferred gyms, I saw that he came down there too because he’s a bjj ronin or something.

It helps us out a lot because he brings tech and insight that you don’t normally get from the regulars. And obviously he gets to roll with a wider range of people to help his game.

My perspective is that training in one academy gives you a solid foundation and arsenal of weapons. But as your level of BJJ becomes higher, the benefits of cross training improve tremendously.

3 Likes

This has happened to some of us as well, and to most people I know. I guess it can only really be an issue if you train with a competing team, but if both teams are in good standing and open-minded I guess it won’t be an issue. Let me just acknowledge that yes this has, and always be an issue. If I ever did the same and trained at another gym, I just don’t let my gym know. Indeed some old school guys are competitive in that way, and I guess thinking forward (if you were to be a coach of a competitive team) some would think the same as well (not that i’m defending them) it’s always a matter of sharing tech and all that. Hope that helps!

1 Like

As of now, I don’t have any plans yet to compete. I only train at my main gym when I’m at my hometown but I wouldn’t turn down an opportunity to roll at the nearest BJJ gym whenever my job requires me to travel somewhere. And although I do hear some stories about certain practitioners having beef with other practitioners over this issue, I’m lucky enough to be part of an academy with coaches that are neutral and have no drama about cross training. So yeah, I’m taking @RVVBJJ’s advice and just ignore the dinosaurs and do me. :grin::sunglasses:

2 Likes