Increasing cardio and conditioning at home?

Hey everyone, glad to be here. I can only make it to BJJ 3 times a week but I really want to increase my cardio, continue to lose weight and improve strength and flexibility. I was wondering what peoples recommendations are for working on this at home? My schedule won’t allow me to get out and do much more. Thanks again.

I’d say a good cardio base is always good. I know a lot of guys scoff at cardio training but it personally works for me. My training partners can always tell if I slacked off my cardio simply by evaluating the way I roll lol. So a solid 30-45 min cardio session (pick a good one that you can stick with) at least once or twice a week is good.

Doing calisthenics can also be effective in my experience. Pick one that focuses on a lot of natural movements and always ensure that you put emphasis on your form.

All the best to your training, man.

Sprints over long endurance runs definitely. Or intervals for best results.

Hi there, @jhorwitz! I have the same sentiment when it comes to attending BJJ classes. Sometimes the traffic jam from my workplace to the gym makes me miss the sessions or arrive really late. In my case though, I drive to my other gym where I box and lift weights instead. But if your schedule isn’t as flexible and a home workout is the next best thing, here’s some that you might want to try:

1. For cardio: Shadowboxing - it’s a very simple exercise that actually works your entire body and you don’t need a lot of space or equipment to do it. Shadowbox nonstop for at least 3 rounds at 3 minutes each. Try to visualize an opponent if you want. It’s really effective and gets that heart rate up.

2. For strength training: Dumbbell exercises or body weight exercises - what I find works for me when I want to work on my strength is really just using some weights on a variety of basic exercises like bicep curls, lunges, and chest press. But if you don’t have any dumbbells at home, body weight exercises can do wonders as well. Personal faves are push ups, pull ups, core exercises like planks, and tricep dips.

3. For flexibility: Yoga. Yeah I know some think it’s a girly thing but you’ll be surprised how much it improves your flexibility as well as endurance over time.

Pair this with a well-balanced diet and you’re all set. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope this helps!

1 Like

There’s a lot of exercises that can be done at home and will surely make you sweat. You can do HIIT, this type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns more fat in less time. You can also convert your everyday habits, like instead of driving to the convenience store you can either walk or run. Waking up early to run or do some stretching in your room/house. Yoga will help when it comes with stretching. Yoga involves deep breaths and your flexibility will surely inhance. A lot of things can be done but it will all depend on your determination and discipline.

There might be times that you will feel lazy or too tired but always remember your goal and push through. I hope you all the best.

1 Like

You’re lucky to be able to attend 3 times a week! I guess what I can suggest for active recovery and cardio is breathing exercises and short HIIT exercises that is easily accessible online. Works wonders!

Also, if you have access to a near swimming pool, swimming works wonders! Provides relaxation at the same time!

Sets of burpees can be done anywhere, you can vary the intensity, and they kick my ass!

Totally hate 'em. (burpees) For some reason, the upper belts love to use it as punishment and/or “conditioning” training. :laughing:

Burpees are the devil’s toys. Absolute torture. Effective, but torture. :rofl:

Also,relating to what @Noreen and @jiujatesu said about HIIT, you might also want to do some agility ladder exercises for your cardio. I like this because there’s a lot of variations that you can do to make it a little bit less boring and you don’t need that much space to set it up.

And I totally agree on swimming as well! Great exercise for the lungs and upper body! :swimming_woman::muscle:

Great tips guys!

Speaking of conditioning, what do you do to condition and strengthen your grips? Single hand kettlebell swings target the grip in a way but I’m looking for something that zeroes down on building grip strength.