Article - Why People Quit At Blue Belt

This article explains why a lot of people quit when they get their blue belt. I find this excerpt particularly interesting:

The first reason is time. It can take a long time to achieve purple. White to blue can be quick if you’re naturally athletic. However, blue is almost a guaranteed 2-4 years if you don’t train every day and make Jiu Jitsu your life.

I guess this reason can be applicable if you are after the rank, but the difficulty of BJJ is what attracted me and most of my friends to train in the first place. From what I’ve seen, people (at least in my country) quit primarily because of cost, BJJ can be quite pricey here and most guys would rather train MT instead.

Any thoughts on the article?

Good read.

This December will mark 3 full years for myself at blue belt.

In just that time since getting I’ve trained at many gyms, spent a lot of time wrestling and striking, and have seen people come, go, come back, and go again.

For me, jiu jitsu really changed in the past year, and even more so in the past 6 months…

It takes some time to realize this, and I may get flak, but I think a big reason people quit is because they realize THERE IS NO POINT TO BJJ.

But… but… but…

Let me explain.

When we first start BJJ, it can almost seem like a superpower. Coming from a non-martial arts background, having a smaller guy or girl maul you while your helplessly drown is eye opening.

It can seem like choking someone out/being able to “kick someone’s ass” is an end in of itself, and that if I can just get gold in tournament, win an MMA fight, or submit a certain individual… then I’ll be… idk… “there”?.. “happy”?.. something.

It dawned on me over the last year that BJJ is really about falling in love with the PROCESS. The outcome… whether its gold in tourney, a cage fight victory, or just having other tough dudes give you respect… these are but brief fleeting moments.

I’ve learned to savor every repetition and detail of a drill or sequence. To let go of the outcome in rolling, and just enjoy the physical process of training and doing jiu jitsu, from the warm up drills to the competition matches.

I can honestly say that in my third year of blue belt, I’ve NEVER been more in love with jiu jitsu.

Since this mindset change happened (it wasn’t forced, btw), I’ve exponentially grown on and off the mats. In addition, I’ve gotten more gold medals in tournaments than I ever did when I took it “seriously” as far as competing.

In fact, my last competition, I was almost disappointed by how NOT nervous I was, it was pure detachment from the outcome. I tried to win, and I did, but my favorite aspect was being able to engage with a stranger in the physical language of jiu jitsu, and bro out about it immediately afterwards.

I am sure going forward that my perception of jiu jitsu and its role in my life will continue to evolve, however the more detached I am from any outcome on the mats, the more I enjoy BJJ and to be honest, the better I end up doing in rolls and competition.

1 Like

This is a very good point man. I have to admit that I kinda thought along the same lines myself…I was even looking for fights to “test” my BJJ :rofl:

The more we get to non self defense stuff, the more we feel the grind, I think. Especially when we go up in rank and get paired up with bigger/better guys. I personally love this part of training regardless if I’m the hammer or the nail that particular day, but I guess I can understand that not all think this way though.